Forgot password?
Enter your E-mail and we will send you a reset
Frequently Asked Questions
We understand that the benefits of UV lights may not be well-understood, and have provided this FAQ to help ensure that you’re able to realize just how beneficial this technology can be for your indoor air quality.
Why should I use UV light?

UV (ultraviolet) light is capable of breaking organic molecular bonds that hold biological cells together. Even a single, brief exposure to UV light can be sufficient to destroy mold, bacteria, viruses and many allergens. Our system works in two ways. First, the cellular damage caused by exposure to UV light makes biologic agents incapable of reproducing. Second, it ultimately leads to wide-scale destruction of unwanted, potentially harmful elements in your home’s air. UV light can be effective on:

  • Bacteria like yeasts
  • Fungi
  • Viruses
  • Allergens

Our whole home purification systems cleanse and sterilize the air at the unit itself, as well as in the ductwork, ensuring that threats are eliminated at all points, and that they cannot spread through your home.

How does UV light kill microorganisms?

In order to be considered in the C band, or “germicidal”, UV light must be in the range of 200 to 300 nm. The peak frequency when it comes to germicidal activity and effectiveness is 254 nm, which is the frequency of our UV bulbs.

Can I use this near an HVAC filter?

No, do not use a UV light near most HVAC filters. The light can cause degradation of plastic, as well as other materials. Before installing a filter, check the manufacturer’s specifications on UV exposure.

How long will my UV bulb last for?

Most of our bulbs are rated for about 10,000 hours, which equates to about a year of use. We recommend replacing your bulb(s) every year to prevent failure or reduced efficiency. Note that some of our bulbs provide longer lifespans (up to 13,000 hours with our G2000 system).

How does mold get into my HVAC system in the first place, and why does it matter?

Mold thrives in dark, damp areas, and your HVAC system fits the bill perfectly, particularly around the condenser coil and drain line, but also within your air ducts, where condensation can create a perfect environment for mold to grow. Mold (and mold spores) has been proven to lead to asthma and allergic reactions.

How can I remove mold from my HVAC system?

Mold can be extremely difficult to remove from even exposed elements of your HVAC system, much less in hard to reach areas like the interior ducts. At Green UV, our light-based systems destroy mold’s ability to reproduce, ensuring that your entire HVAC system is clean and healthy.

Will installing a UV system increase my utility expenses?

While our UV lights do require a supply of electricity, you’ll find that they do not increase your utility costs throughout the year. In fact, many of our customers find that their utility costs actually decrease, thanks to improved system efficiency and performance.